About Me

My photo
I spent the best part of the last 10 years in contracted research in the UK and The Netherlands and am now planing to settle down in Germany. But before I do that it is time for some adventure. Inspired by Rolf Potts' “Vagabonding“ I decided to have a look around in Eastern Europe and, budget permitting, around the Mediterranean sea. I will use this blog in the coming months to share my travel experiences and experiences from life on the road.

This map shows how far I have got so far. If you wonder about the different colours... blue are places where I stayed for at least one night, red markers are day trips and yellow shows my current location.

Vagabonding times auf einer größeren Karte anzeigen

Sunday 28 February 2010

My first couchsurfing experience

Just before leaving Istanbul I had the chance to spend the weekend with a complete stranger. Well, Gurcan wasn't entirely a stranger. I met him through the couchsurfing.org project, a social network of people that like to meet local people when the travel on one side, and people that enjoy hosting and learning about other cultures on the other side. I had spent some time during the first few days in Istanbul to fill in my couchsurfing profile including some photos so that potential hosts get a better idea who they might be meeting. Then I looked up possible hosts in the city. With more than 5000 couchsurfing members in Istanbul this was quite a challenge. In the end I picked two guys and sent them a request to either meet up for a few hours or surf with them. And this is how I got to meet up with Gurcan at a subway exit in Istanbul on a Saturday noon.

We spent the weekend together and it was a really great experience of Turkish hospitality. We checked out the cinema program in a gigantic mall...

...enjoyed the view from his flat over one of Istanbul's many living quarters...

...and I got introduced to some new Turkish fast food: Kumpir. Yummy!!

After having spent a lot of time in the busy historic areas it was very relaxing weekend and I even got spoilt twice by Gurcan's cookings skills. Two days and many conversations later, on a Monday morning, Gurcan went back to work and I took a bus to get to my next destination: Antalya. Thanks for this fantastic weekend, Gurcan!

1 comment: